Kaunas University of Medicine, LithuaniaKaunas University of Medicine is the largest institution of medical education and training in Lithuania. Its history dates back to 1919, when by the decision of Kaunas Medical Society established the Higher Medical Courses, which developed into the Faculty of Medicine of Kaunas University in 1922. Later, in 1950, the Faculty of Medicine was transformed into Kaunas Medical Institute, which in turn was reorganised into Kaunas Medical Academy in 1989. In 1998 Kaunas Medical Academy, by the decision of Lithuanian Parliament, was renamed in to Kaunas University of Medicine.
Kaunas University of Medicine is an autonomous university-type medical institution financed by the state. The governing body of the Academy is the Academic Council, the executive function being assigned to the Rectorate.
Kaunas University of Medicine has five faculties: Medicine; Stomatology; Pharmacy; Nursing; and Public Health; plus Kaunas University Hospital and four research institutes (Biomedical Research; Cardiology; Endocrinology; Psychophysiology; and Rehabilitation).
Teaching staff of Kaunas University of Medicine comprises about 600 instructors and research workers, including 74 professors and 278 associate professors.
ContactDr Giedrius Vanagas
Kaunas University of Medicine
Phone: +37 03732 7246